After you have installed the hotfix package 2352342 or 2281364 in SharePoint Server 2010, the Event ID 3 Error is logged.
We observed, that after applying the august CU the following error shows up in bulks in the event application log of the server the User Profile Synchronization service is running:
This issue occurs because the versions of Microsoft.ResourceManagement.Service.exe and Microsoft.ResourceManagement.dll do not match the versions that are specified in the WorkflowDefinition table in the Forefront Identity Manager Service database.
For a short resolution, I tested in my lab the following workaround by just recreating the sync database did the trick,
and kept my profile and social database and its data in place .
You first need to delete and then re-create the User Profile Service application. Before you do this, make screenshots of all settings (i.e. database names, My Site host location, etc.) and ensure that you have all information in place to recreate the User Profile Service application by only recreating the sync database!
To do this, follow these steps:
- In SharePoint Server 2010, click Central Administration on the navigation pane, and then click Manage service applications in the Application Management menu.
- Select User Profile Service Application, write down all your settings for the recreation and then delete it.
- In the dialog box that appears, do not select the Delete data associated with the Service Applications option. This would delete all databases and therefore all MySite and Social data will be lost!
- Go to the SQL server and delete the Sync database, but not the profile- and social database!
- Create a new User Profile Service Application from the Manage service applications page.
- Go back to the SharePoint Server and central admin page Click Central Administration on the navigation pane, click Manage services on server in the System Settings menu, and then enable the User Profile Synchronization service with the settings you stored in step 2.
You can use the same name for the sync database as it was before.
The profile- and social database name are the same anyway as we’ll reuse them to get back our data of My Site and social tags etc.
- Re-create the synchronization connections, and then start full profile synchronization.
This should resolve the problem and the errors should be gone and you still will have your My Site and social data working and available.
The issue is reported to the SharePoint Team and a KB article will be available soon is now published on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2432041
Don’t worry, if the Event error might be logged one time again but only once after a reboot or restart of the FIM Services, this is a normal behavior and can be ignored.
If you have installed the august CU packages before you had a user profile servcie instance configured or running, you might not be affected by this issue. Also a complete new recreation of the UPA might resolve this but consider the data loss when you delete the profile and social databases!
Other related posts on User Profile:
User profile sync – SharePoint 2010
Troubleshooting User Profile Sync Issues on SharePoint 2010
6 thoughts on “Problem after installing August CU for SharePoint 2010”
Thanks for all of your posts Mr.Steve.
Please Keep posting
Do you know if Microsoft is coming out with a hotfix for the errors and when? It is causing the error log to fill up within minutes.
I think you missed one step; recreating the User Profile Service. Before that you can't start the Profile Sync service again.
After installing the october CU, I also seem to have problems with the person.aspx page located under the my site root. Do you perhaps have an idea on how to fix that?
Worked great, thanks!
yes you're right, I already corrected the missing step and updated the post.
Regarding your "person.aspx" problem, you should check the ULS logs for any hints on that. Unfortunately you have not written more details on the problem and what behavior it shows, can you provide more details on what the problem exactly is?
Check also my other post about "Troubleshooting User Profile Sync Issues on SharePoint 2010
" posted on 13-10-2010. Maybe you'll find some more info there that miuht help you investigate your issue further.
unfortunately there is no fix but a workaround as described above and also here: support.microsoft.com/…/2432041
If you have installed any higher build after august 2010 CU and recreated the UPA afterwards, you should not get the event error any more.
But even on following the workaround or KB article, it may occur that after a reboot for example at least once on startup the Event ID 3 gets logged although.
This is nothing to worry about and is just some "noises in the logs"
Hth, cheers and happy new year,