You may find in your tenant message center the following Announcement:
(Updated) Updating classic SharePoint team site home pages to the modern template
MC202661, Stay Informed, Published date: Jan 30, 2020 – Updated June 16, 2020:
Microsoft begins rollout to all customers.
With this update, classic SharePoint team site home pages that have not been customized will be automatically updated to a modern home page template.
- We’ll begin gradually rolling this out to Targeted Release customers in May (previously March).
- The rollout will be complete by the end of June (previously May).
This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 60405.How does this affect me?
On classic SharePoint team sites (STS#0 only) where the home page has not been customized, end users will see a modern home page on their first visit after this feature rolls out to your tenant. On that first visit, SharePoint will walk your users through the new capabilities. The new home page for your team site makes it easier to post news and to use the site on mobile devices.
This change only affects the home page of classic team sites (STS#0) when a home page contains only out-of-the box default web parts such as getting started, document library, and newsfeed. Classic team sites that contain customized content will not be automatically updated.
Note: this update does not create an Office 365 Group for the team site, which would happen with the creation of a modern team site in SharePoint.
Site collection admins or site owners can choose to revert to their previous classic home page.
What do I need to do to prepare for this change?
If you do nothing, your classic SharePoint team site home pages that contain only out-of-the box default web parts will automatically be updated to the modern home page template.
- You may choose to upgrade other home pages that weren’t part of the automatic modernization.
- If you would like to disable this upgrade on specific sites, you can do so by using a SharePoint Patterns and Practices (PnP) PowerShell cmdlet
We recommend that you update your user training and notify your help desk of these upcoming changes.
- Classic home page modernization
- Create and use modern pages on a SharePoint site
- Find the sites on your tenant that will be affected by this change
- The new SharePoint team home page